pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Today's Challenge... Gourmet Pizza. It's left overs and prepared crust, how hard can it be?

Switching gears today from crafting to cooking.  I am a meat and potatoes kind of gal.  I don't have a lot of confidence in the kitchen.  I don't have a lot of recipes that are tried and true.  What I do have is a picky teenage daughter, a boring palette and a husband that loves experimenting with food and tastes.  So to go out on a limb in the kitchen is very brave (stupid) of me and it could go very well, or very very bad. 

I am trying to avoid going to the grocery store so I looked in the fridge to see what I had and then tried to find something to make with those ingredients.  I have left over chicken from yesterday's dinner, some goat cheese and flat bread pizza bases.  So gourmet chicken, goat cheese and carmalized onions it is! Here goes nothing!

First I enlisted the help of my beautiful daughter (so if it goes terribly wrong, I can blame her) then I chopped the onions.  We put some olive oil to begin carmelized the onions.  She did a great job because she's much more patient than I am and she doesn't like the oil splatters.  We used a little white wine from the fridge to deglaze the pan and put the onions in a bowl.  While J patiently browned the onions, I pulled the left over chicken apart and added it to another bowl.  It was smelling mighty good in our kitchen!

We poured some olive oil in a bowl and mixed in Thyme, Marjoram and Oregano because it's what J thought smelled good and I agreed with her.  We put the flat breads on a cooking sheet and used a pastry brush to paint the olive oil mixture over the flat breads.  We made sure the spices looked evenly mixed over the entire bread.  Then we layered our pizza starting with the chicken, then the onions and then the goat cheese. 

Into the oven it went to bake at 400F for 15 minutes.  And the verdict is:
J: this is Freaking  GOOD!
DH: mmmm yup (with mouth full) this is great.  Good job babe! And then he got up, pulled out the hot sauce and spiced it up a bit. At least he tasted it first!

I agree. It was really good.  We were a teeny tiny bit skimpy on the cheese but I was afraid of over-powering the entire meal with one flavour.  So next time we can go a little bit wilder on the cheese! 

This was not hard at all and was a complete success.  I'm so proud of myself!  That was thinking way outside my box and it worked!
Spring mix greens with sweet vidalia onion dressing as a side to the pizza and there's a pretty healthy meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment